Friday 4 October 2013

Merchant of Venice





Merchant of Venice in two lines:
There is a murder conspiracy by shylock. It ends up in comedy with Portia & Bassanio joining together.



Take one - SCENE –ONE – ACTION (Self Introduction)
Antonio: I am Antonio, one of the richest merchant of Venice. I have plenty of ships on the seas. Bassanio is my special friend. I took loan from shylock to help my friend.

Bassanio: I am a friend of Antonio. I met a beautiful & rich lady Portia whom I want to get married. As I don’t have money I requested my friend ANTONIO to help me.


Shylock: I am a Jew & money lender. I hate Antonio as he has insulted me on several times. I am looking for opportunity to wreak vengeance.
Portia: I am the daughter of a rich man from Venice. I am in love with Bassanio. I am going in disguise as a lawyer. I will argue in Shylock's case in favour of Antonio.
Duke: Shylock's case is heard in my court. I will hear the arguments from both sides & give my judgment.

S C E N E -2 - ACTION
Bassanio
: Oh Antonio, my special friend. I need your help.
Antonio: Oh! My friend tell me what can I do for you?
Bassanio: I love Portia, a rich & beautiful lady. I want to marry her.so I need money from you.
Antonio: Don’t worry. I will help you. I have no money now. So I will borrow money from Shylock on loan. 
 


S C E N E--3.  IN S h y l o c k ' s Place. ACTION
Shylock: Oh! Antonio, Oh! Bassanio, What do you want?
Antonio: I need money. 3000 Ducats.
Shylock: I GIVE MONEY FOR INTEREST. But in your case, I will not take any interest. I write in the bond one pound of flesh from a part of your body nearest to your heart, just for fun, in case you don’t return the money in 3 months.
Bassanio: Antonio, Don’t sign. Don’t take the risk.
Antonio: Don’t you worry. MY SHIPS WILL RETURN NEXT MONTH. We can return the money.

S C E N E --4
PLACE: DUKE'S COURT. ACTION


CLERK READS OUT:
Complainant : Shylock.
Defendant: Antonio
Defendant's lawyer: Portia.

Duke: M . . . m HAS SHYLOCK COME HERE?
Shylock: YES YOUR GRACE.
DUKE : Tell me Shylock. What is your case?
Shylock: Your honour. Now 3 months over since I gave money to Antonio. Since the time is expired, he should give me a pound of flesh, as per bond, signed by Antonio for 3000 ducats.
Duke: Antonio what do you say?
Antonio:. My lawyer will speak for me.
Portia:(she bows & starts speaking) MY LORD Shylock is keen about a pound of flesh. (stops) Let him have it. Have you brought the knife Shylock?
Shylock: Yes I have.
Portia: You cut the flesh from the nearest part to the chest. Not more. Not less.
Shylock: That is not mentioned in the bond.
Portia: In that case there should be no blood shed, because it is also not mentioned in the bond. MY LORD, is it possible to take flesh without bloodshed? I don’t want my client to loose even a single drop of blood. Shylock has conspired to murder Antonio, as one cannot cut flesh without a blood shed.
Duke: Now it is judgment time.
Clerk: Silence .. Silence.
Duke: As the conspiracy is obvious Shylock has planned to murder Antonio.
Shylock, I ORDER YOU to apologise. You should give half of your fortune to the government & half to Antonio as punishment.
(Shylock walks of in shame. Antonio, Bassanio, & Portia in gay mood.)   
 

  HAPPY ENDING

No comments:

Post a Comment