Sunday 23 October 2011

I, Ant (an action thriller)


I, Ant (an action thriller)
          This was the first time ever my mother had allowed me to travel alone, and I had to promise her to behave myself and above all I should stick with my group…. And it was precisely that promise that was to be broken first of all. We were walking deep inside a thick forest where often robbers pop up to pick our things.
          We turned left side. Our group had to travel toward east. This is shadowy and our journey by walking so nice. Because I was empty handed. But so much of my co-travellers were having big packages in their hands. Suddenly one of our group leaders screamed in a strangled voice “Fire!” and collapsed in a dead faint. This produced a most violent commotion. No one remained in his place and we all made a dash with each other. How was it that we had not noticed before this the smoke. I simply cannot understand it. Here and there red glow, as of burning coal, flared up.
          Three great pillars of smoke, through which tongues of flame flickered, rose on either side of our group. I saw that some workers ran and came by me. I stared their cold, energetic faces; their eyes were reflecting the flames with an almost blood-stained glint, inspired instinctive terror. They pushed me and ran away. Not knowingly I got up and ran after them. But they disappeared.
          As for myself, I took refuge near a big wet plank and sat down on one of its lower rungs. I looked horror-struck at the ruddy foam that boiled and bubbled beneath me and sent spray up to my face. I kept saying myself: “So that’s where I shall have to die at the age of nineteen!” Then I made up my mind to ran rather than be roasted alive. The flames rose in an arch above me and I could clearly distinguish their howl from the crying voice of our group.
          As I was running I saw a big wide hole. “Jump!” I cried myself, stretching out my arms. At that movement, the success of my bold attempt, the conviction that I was safe from the flames filled me with quite incredible strength and courage.
          I ran rapidly toward my group. Only a few of our group were lost, eight in all. Nearly all our baggage, I fear, was lost. But I got the courage that no one could destroy all of us. Even you. Before using fire to kill us in your backyard think twice. You can’t kill us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment