Monday 5 September 2016

Affirmative & Negative

Affirmative
Negative
Example
As soon as
No sooner had …than
Aff: As soon as the thief saw the police, he ran away.
Neg: No sooner had the thief seen the police than he ran away.
Scarcely …when
No sooner had …. Than
Aff: Scarcely had the thief seen the police when he fled away.
Neg: No sooner had the thief seen the police than he fled away.
Hardly ….when
No sooner had … than
Aff: Hardly had the bird seen the hunter when it flew away.
Neg: No sooner had the bird seen the hunter than it flew away.
As ….as
Not less …than / no less … than
Aff: My father is as wise as our teacher.
Neg: My father is not less wise then our teacher.
Less … than
Not as …. as
Aff: My father is less wise then our teacher.
Neg: My father is not as wise as our teacher.
Both ….and
Not only …but also
Aff:He both a student and a player.
Neg: He is not only a student but also a player.
Too ….to
So ….that
Aff: He is too weak to walk.
Neg: He is so weak that he cannot walk.
Only (person)
None but
Aff: Only God can help us.
Neg: None but God can help us.
Only (things)
Nothing but
Aff: He likes only sweet.
Neg: He likes nothing but sweet.
Only (age)
Not more than/ Not less than
Aff: He is only ten.
Neg: He is not more than ten.
Alone (person)
None but
Aff: God alone can save us.
Neg: None but God can save us.
Must
Cannot but / cannot help+verb+ing
Aff: You must obey your parents.
Neg: You cannot but obey your parents. / You cannot help obeying your parents.
Have to
Cannot but / Cannot help+verb+ing
Aff:We have to leave this beautiful world.
Neg: We cannot but leave this beautiful world. / He cannot help leaving this beautiful world.
Has to
Cannot but / Cannot help+verb+ing
Aff: He has to run his family.
Neg: He cannot but run his family. / He cannot help running his family.
Had to
Could not but / could not help+verb+ing
Aff: I had to join the study tour.
Neg: I could not but join the study tour. / I could not help joining the study tour.
Need to
Cannot but / cannot help+verb+ing
 Aff: I need to go there.
Neg: I cannot but go there. / I cannot help going there.
Needed to
Could not but / could not help+verb+ing
Aff: I needed to go there.
Neg: I could not but go there. / I could not help going there.
Many
Not a few
Aff: I have many friends.
Neg: I have not a few friends.
A few
Not many
Aff: I have a few friends.
Neg: I have not many friends.
A little
Not much
Aff: I have a little rice.
Neg: I have not much rice.
Much
Not a little
Aff: He has much money.
Neg: He has not a little money.
Every + noun
Every teacher
Every student
There is no + noun+but+verb / There is no … who does not+verb
Aff:Every teacher loves his child.
Neg: There is no teacher but loves his child. /
There is no teacher who does not love his child.
Sometimes
Do not always/ Does not always/ Did not always/ Not always
Aff: Ram sometimes comes to our house.
Neg: Ram does not always come to our house.
Always
Never + adjective’s antonym
Aff: Sita was always punctual.
Neg: Sita was never late.
For the last time
Never …again
Aff: He came here for the last time.
Neg: He never came here again.
For good
Never ….again
Aff: He has given up smoking for good.
Neg: He will never smoke again.
For ever
Never ….again
Aff: He has left the village for ever.
Neg: He will never come to his village again.
Affirmative word
Not + adjective’s antonym
Aff: The man is happy.
Neg: The man is not unhappy.
Universal truth
Negative Interrogative (auxiliary + not)
Aff: Health is wealth.
Neg: Is not health wealth.?


No comments:

Post a Comment